Contributing to Cultural Spaces


Contributing to Cultural Spaces


Background 

How do we adapt and develop in different Spaces?

To give you an overview, this blog discusses how we adapt to changes in our environment and space as well as psychological processes and behavioral changes. We will analyze the causes and results of people's changes in different Spaces based on a macro level analysis and a micro level psychological analysis. People can influence the way we move through a space through physical behavior or emotional memories and feelings. As social animals, humans have always felt insecure and dependent on the transition of space, and this blog will show you where we go. We can also use Cadogan's experience or my own experience to give you an actual case for reference.






With the advent of radio, television, the Internet and other electronic media, and with the rapid development of various modern modes of transportation, the distance between people in time and space has suddenly shortened, and the whole world has shrunk into a village. The term Lobal Village was first proposed by M. McLuhan, a Canadian communication scientist, in his book Understanding Media: The Extension of Man in 1964. In fact, our space is shrinking day by day, and people are communicating more and more easily and quickly. We have to admit that in addition to most good factors, there are also increased sources of mental and psychological stress for people. Not being accepted or excluded or, more seriously, discriminated against, is on the rise. More and more disputes and ideas become complicated and difficult to understand, and there are more and more cultural incomprehension and intolerance. In addition to survival, we should enjoy life more, accept many unknowns, receive education, and learn different beauty. In the article I read before, Cadogan, as a stranger in an unfamiliar environment, felt that his comfort zone no longer existed. But in fact, let's think about it from a different Angle, maybe it also represents a new beginning. It doesn't mean we have to complain. It means we have to be strong.


The life and space changes I've experienced.



How the spaces change us ?

  In Cadogan's essay, he talks about how he doesn't like walking in an unfamiliar space, he uses his own experience to express the unbalanced civil rights he has experienced. “I realized that what I least liked about walking in New York City wasn’t merely having to learn new rules of navigation and socialization—every city has its own. It was the arbitrariness of the circumstances that required them, an arbitrariness that made me feel like a child again, that infantilized me.” This sentence supports the main argument. But, unlike his point of view, I like walking to a uniflair space, especially when the first time I came to America, there were so many things that I have never seen or experienced before, so I like walking a lot, and walking to a new space. I remember, I usually like walking with my friends, and I call that “ adventure”, everytime I walk to a new space or place that is interesting, I always like to use my camera to record everything I have seen. So this is what makes Cadogan’s point of view different from mine.  

  In Rebacaa’s essay foot, she talks about how walking is so lonely and she doesn’t like walking alone as well. In the essay, she says: “ hiking in the dense damp fog, only the rusting of small birds in the bushes indicates that I am not alone as I walk along the narrow trail sliced into the northwest side ofWolfRidge in my waterproof coat. As I protect my hands from the chill west wind that comes around this side of the slope, I find, in the left pocket of that coat, a ticket and an ivy leaf: a ticket for the train from Copenhagen H to Humlebaek and a leaf from the House of Honor in which the great atomic physicist Niels Bohr once lived.” In this sentence, I can tell she feels lonely. But, based on my own personal experience, I don’t feel lonely at all, that is all. I feel like everything that I have never seen makes me very curious, and there is no reason for myself to feel lonely, so it can be the difference between Revacaa’s experience and mine. 


  Back to the topic we have read and studied before, there are some similarities between me and my peers. In project one, we have talked and made a powerpoint about what can make us feel more like home. My peer Matt talks about how his pc and his bed made himself feel more like home, this is what I feel about the personal space and adapted to an unfamiliar space. The other peer Anthony talks about the video games he used to play and how he enjoys all the games and the Xbox. All the video games make him feel more like home is all because those games are what he used to play at home as well.


My Point of View


“My Point of View” is a painting I drew myself, which shows that I came to the United States from China to study. Met a lot of different things and different cultures. It expressed my unaccustomed and uneasiness when I came to America at the very beginning. The reason why I drew myself and everyone as a little mouse is to show my anxiety and cowardice as weak as a little mouse. Black is me, dark dark feeling very helpless and different from everyone else.


As a teenager having to change our living environment every four to five years, I have always struggled to find a balance of lifestyle. Although as a Chinese living in a somewhat conservative country but studying in a multinational environment, an aspect that helped build my sense of security was the society's civilization. Racism is a phenomenon that occurs upon anybody, in a matter of severity. However, one ought to neglect the effect of the difference in cultural clashes that may influence how racism may take place. 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #3

blog post #2